Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Supermom? Not really

My apologies, dear readers--if you're still around.

I would understand completely if you've lost patience and given up on this blog. This has been a tremendously hectic fall season, with my newsroom job, teaching two college courses, putting the finishing touches on the winter issue of Ottawa Parenting Times (out in early December!) and continuing to freelance for various publications.

As per the cliche, I truly feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. I am well aware that I tend to, as do so many women and mothers, take on more and more work, even when it becomes increasingly (and evidently) impossible, hesitating to say "no" to any project, for fear no more offers will come.

It's a constant fight for working moms, struggling not to lose your professional identity and the constant dread of only being seen, and valued, as "mom." Eventually, you push yourself to the point I'm at now--feeling that I'm doing too much and doing none of it well.

It's been well documented that women strive to "have it all." But can you have it all, and be all things to everyone in your life, and keep your sanity? Right now, I'm inclined to give an emphatic "no."

Further to this, I came across two interesting pieces in the Globe & Mail today; one on how chronic stress can make mothers hostile and insensitive, and another on alcohol as Mom's stress relieving secret, evoking  a bit of guilt about those occasional and treasured glasses of wine.

What do you think, working parents? How do you maintain balance in your life? And how do you cope with the constant stresses of juggling parenting and work? editor@ottawaparentingtimes.ca

1 comment:

  1. I think every parent struggles with the idea of balance. Finding the right division between time for yourself and time for your family is almost impossible - and finding energy for everything you want to do is tough, as well.

    I think one of the most important things is to surround yourself with a support structure - a supportive spouse, extended family who are willing to lend a hand, friends who believe in you and can help from time to time. I have a good friend who always says, when I need help with something, that it takes a village - we are there for each other, and it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete