Monday, March 28, 2011

For sale: One defiant teenage boy, complete with full-on attitude...

...well, OK, maybe I won't actually sell him (as if anyone is in the market for this notoriously tough age group, anyway), but right now, I sure feel like it.

My oldest will be 13 this August, and with the advent of adolescence comes all those scary things I've heard so much about: the attitude, talking back, unbelievable sense of entitlement, etc., etc.

It all reached a peak the other day, after my many stern warnings that if the attitude continued, there would be major consequences. Lo and behold, he put me to the test. And so I brought out the "big guns": a strategy I picked up from  Dr. Phil (OK, you can stop laughing now).

It involves "stripping" your child of their material possessions: toys, video games, computer, etc. and allowing them to gradually earn them back through extended periods of good behaviour.

So, he's officially been stripped: the cell phone is gone, the only fun left in his bedroom now is some books. It's going to be hard to stick to, though I know it had to be done. But will it work? Is it a monstrous tactic? Is it age-appropriate? Time will tell.

Do you have any ideas, thoughts or comments on discipline for teens? What's your experience? What has worked for you? I'd love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or e-mail editor@ottawaparentingtimes.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment